Friday, March 1, 2013

Defining ASL

I can't believe week three has just come to a close! I feel like I've learned a lot of ASL, but still have so much to learn. I think that's the way with all languages though. 

The American Sign Language University are so great, they teach applicable sign language in an easy way.  My vocabulary has grown, and I think I would be able to sustain a short conversation. As part of one of the first lesson, one of the objectives was to effectively define ASL.

Merriam-Webster's dictionary defines it as such:
Main Entry: American Sign Language
Function: noun
Date: 1960
: a sign language for the deaf in which meaning is conveyed by a system of articulated hand gestures and their placement relative to the upper body

Reading the definition, I felt like it only scratched the surface of defining what ASL truly was. Although I have only been learning for a few weeks, I challenged myself to come up with my own definition of ASL

1. ASL is a performance.

Every sign, every gesture combines to tell a story. In addition, facial expressions are key to expressing emotion. Facial expressions are basically the equivalent of tone or inflection in spoken English. Questions are asked with a specific "question face" and the connotation of a word can be changed drastically based on your facial expression. I will admit that I feel a bit foolish sometimes, sitting in my room, or in the classroom, sticking out my bottom lip as I sign "sad", or furrowing my eyebrows as I sign a question. Still, done right, ASL is so elegant. It is truly and art.

2. ASL is a community.

As I go through the lessons I can definitely feel a sense of community portrayed. Dr. Bill Vicars, the man who created the American Sign Language University, begins each lesson with "Hello ASL Heros!". Also, random tidbits about culture are interspersed. For example, in the deaf community, people tend to hug each other way more. In general, I get the feeling that they are a close knit group of people, with a strong sense of unity. Though I feel blessed to have all of my senses, I almost am a little sad that I never will truly be apart of this community. 

3. ASL is a workout. 

I honestly don't know how native speakers can sign so fast. It's crazy. After practicing for a half hour I can feel my hands cramping up, and that's only going about half the normal spoken speed! I can't imagine speaking with my hands for a whole day, or a whole week, or my whole life. I don't know how many muscles are in my hands, but I am sure they are all getting a thorough workout!

Anyway, I am really excited to learn more signs. The next thing I would like to conquer would be grammar, because it is very different than English grammar.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's really cool how you're pursing sign language since I know you've been interested in it for a while! It will be really cool when you are able to speak fluently in it since it is an entirely new language to learn. I would never have enough patience to do what you're doing so good for you. Also, I have a book on simple words in sign language if you ever want to use it, though I'm not exactly sure where it is at the moment... good luck on the rest of your project!
    ps- tell your mom I say thanks for fixing my sewing machine :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It is tough to learn a new language, I don't plan on becoming fluent in these seven weeks. Luckily, ASL is based off of English, so I think it is easier to learn that a spoken foreign language, like German or Spanish.

      ps-she says you're welcome ;)

      Delete