Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Grammar Study



Wow grammar! Super interesting right? I know what you're thinking: "Can you please talk about predicates, and modifiers, ooo and best of all... commas?!" 

No? Sigh, well sarcastic blog reader, I'd have to agree with you. I have never been too fond of grammar, and I ain't never done too good on them grammar tests. Irregardless, grammar is important, and in my opinion, one of the most difficult parts of learning any new language. We are so accustomed to our own way of speaking that anything else sounds wrong.

So bear with me, and I will make this "Grammar Study" as quick and  painless as possible. And hey, you're still reading! So maybe you do show a genuine interest in ASL grammar!

Questions. They are very important. How else would we gain knowledge of the world around us, build friendships, or express curiosity?

"What's your name?"
"Is that your dog?"
"How old is he?"
"Why did he just bite me?!"
"Does this look infected?"
"Where is the nearest hospital?"

Many of these questions contain "wh- question words": Who, what, where, when, and how (yes I know "how" doesn't start with a "wh" but it counts, okay) 
In English, we start the sentence with the these words, but in ASL, the question word follows the phrase.


For example, in spoken English I would say, 
"Where is my chocolate?"

"Who is that odd man over there?

"Why won't One Direction answer my fan mail?"

However, if I was signing….

MY CHOCOLATE- WHERE?

ODD MAN THERE- WHO?

ONE DIRECTION DOESN'T ANSWER MY MAIL- WHY?


So you see the question modifier follows the verb. They are also accompanied with the furrowing of eyebrows in what's called a "question face". 

(signing "who?")


Go ahead, try it, no one is watching.

Here is also a link to a page that contains pictures describing how to sign each questions word! Ya know, cause I know you are curious! CLICK HERE

Of course that's not to say that signing question word first is wrong but it's just not as commonly used.

In English we can say

"My chocolate is where?!"

"That odd man over there is WHO?!"

"And One Direction is ignoring me, why?"

Usually questions are worded that way for emphasis (notice the ?! or the ALL CAPS to show anger or disbelief.) or are rhetorical. The same emphasis can be added in sign language by rewording the question.


And so that's all for my brief grammar study. You're welcome. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment