Monday, March 11, 2013

Week 4 Frustrations


I think there comes a point whenever you're learning a new language when you sit back and think "oh crap, I can't do this." Everything is going good, you're having fun learning new words, and then BAM a sinking feeling as you realize just how "big" languages are. 

I'll be talking to my sister and say something like: "I like Life cereal, but sometimes I'm not in the mood for something so cinnamon-y" and then I think to myself: 'Now how would I say that in ASL?' Then I'll realize I don't know the word for 'cereal', 'mood', or 'cinnamon'.  

It dawns on me that there are so many words to learn. So many, and it can feel like you can never learn them all. Even in English, which I am pretty good at, I don't know all the words! Thankfully, sign language consists of much less words than English. In an article on fingerspelling, Dr. Bill Vicars points out that there are about 180,000 English words, and only about 10,000 ASL "words". That leaves 170,000 words unaccounted for. (Vicars par 3)

ASL uses less words to say the same thing. There aren't as many synonyms and words are sometimes fingerspelled, or modified as the signer sees fit. That makes it both easier and hard, if that is even possible. Still, it seems like fluency is impossible!

I have to remind myself that fluency is not the goal. I need to focus on getting a good foundation for basic communication. I need to be learning words like "go" "stop" "please" "deaf", and not words like "cinnamon". 

To cheer myself up, I wrote short script introducing myself, and I realized I can say a lot more than I originally thought. Not bad, considering I'm a "hearie" who has only been learning for a couple weeks. I realize I've been neglecting the visual aspects of blogging, so I decided to post the video of me introducing myself in sign language. I posted subtitles at the bottom for non-speakers to understand. 







6 comments:

  1. Aw I like how you make really exaggerated facial expression to go with your signs like they do on Switched at Birth. I think you are doing really well and your signing is pretty fluid, I think I have the authority to say that as someone who used to almost be good at sign language. My tip for that "so many words" problem is, focus on the main and most important words, but when you think of a word you don't know that you would like to know, just look it up and learn it right then and there! Just like we do in French class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cara! I love that show, it's so inspirational haha.

      Yeah I think the best thing to do is not get overwhelmed. I am taking it lesson by lesson, word by word. Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  2. Caroline this is so awesome! Even though learning a new language can seem overwhelming and never ending, you really have made a lot of progress so far. You incorporated facial expressions very well with your signing and it was all very fluid. I am very impressed! You looked like a sign language teacher yourself! I know what you mean though, about languages being so "big". I feel like that with French sometimes. There are so many words and phrases to learn. Of course it's important to learn the basics first. However it can be very frustrating when you have a thought that you know you wouldn't be able to express in the language you're learning. If you keep working at sign language though, eventually you will make it past the basics and will acquire all the knowledge you need to express your more nuanced thoughts. It will just take time and practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebekah! Yeah I feel the same way all the time with French! It can be so frustrating at times. I can imagine you're feeling the same way right about now with your project, but from what I can see you're doing a really good job!

      Delete
  3. When I was in kindergarten, I was forced to learn sign language. It took us months just to finish the alphabet while you are already saying sentences in just a few weeks. That's amazing! Keep up the good work! Also, I wonder if you would want to learn the alphabet and be able to spell out the words that you are saying. Just throwing that out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Remi! You're absolutely right, fingerspelling is super helpful. A lot of words incorporate letters from the alphabet and if you don't know a sign you can always spell it out. Fortunately I too learned the ASL alphabet in kindergarten. I know it pretty well, which is very helpful, but I am not nearly as fast as a fluent signer.

      Delete